Sunday, March 13, 2011

Comfortably Uncomfortable

As humans, I think we strive for comfort.  Some of us take comfort when we have enough money, others take comfort in having a good education, others in a family, and others in a career.  We like our routines, we find comfort in small things, because we know what to expect. 

Living a comfortable Christian life is easy too.  Go to church, go to fellowship, read the bible, have a few conversations, pray—all of these things are safe and comfortable.  And I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I do think there is a way for us to be challenged and thus have a stronger faith.

When we are comfortable, it’s hard to depend on God because we have other things to depend on; we are not much different from the rest of the world.  When we are uncomfortable, the only thing we have is God, and we have to put all of our faith in Him.

God clearly called me to Pepperdine, and for me this was an uncomfortable choice.  I had a safe and comfortable choice at home; I could stay in my hometown, I could work at my same job--easy choice.  I had to step out in faith and depend on him 100% and the peace I felt by making that uncomfortable choice was surreal.

What if God called you to…Africa…or to live homeless…would you make that leap?  I can think of many reasons why not to make that choice including fear, loneliness, safety, etc.

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”—Isaiah 6:8

So many times we cry out to God “Here am I. Send me!”  Then we complain that we never hear Him calling us, but I think sometimes we have selective hearing.  “Here Am I, Send me…but only if it’s safe and I will feel comfortable.”  I have made this same cry myself…there are many things that I feel God has called me to do…and I have ignored a lot of them because I’m not sure how I am supposed to do them or where I am even supposed to start.

We can’t expect to change the world if we live by the same rules.  Jesus I’m sure was quite comfortable in heaven, but instead He came down into the world in a very uncomfortable position…knowing He was going to be crucified.

If Jesus can put himself in a position like that for us, certainly we can step out in faith in uncomfortable situations and depend completely on God.  We can take comfort in the fact that God is not going to let us fall, and even if we do stumble, He’s going to be there. 

I think living uncomfortably, but depending completely on God will allow us to see Him work in a refreshing and rewarding way.

--Carly

1 comment: